Wednesday, October 3, 2012

So Long Carbs

So last Wednesday, September 26 2012, I met with my nutritionist. I must say, it's kind of unnerving to be sitting next to two pretty, skinny women while telling them all the bad stuff you eat during the week. Moving on. 

I was told that I was going to basically be put on a diabetics' diet. Carbs aren't the "enemy," I just need to restrict my intake of them. Also, I need to up the amount of protein I'm consuming as well as the amount of water (even though I'm already peeing every 20 minutes.)

I'm allowed 1500 calories a day. My three meals are broken up into servings of carbs, proteins and fats. Each serving of carbs is 15 grams and I'm allwed 3 servings for breakfast, 4 for lunch and 3 for dinner for a total of 10 servings, or 150 g of carbs per day.

As an example, a serving of carbs is 1 piece of bread, 1 4" pancake, 1 4.5" square waffle or 1/2 cup of oatmeal. Fruits (and some starchy veggies) are also considered carbs.

1 serving of protein is 1 egg, 3 egg whites, 1 oz pork, or 1 tablespoon of natural or reduced fat peanut butter.

1 serving of fat is 1 ounce of fat free or low fat cream cheese, 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 teaspoon of olive oil.

Believe me, this diet is harder than it sounds, especially a carb lover like me. For the last week I've been scouring the internet for recipes I can eat but don't sound like cardboard. It doesn't help that I'm a pretty picky eater. I'm not a fan of lunch meat or sandwiches in general, I hate seafood, I'm not the biggest fan of salads and I'm picky about my meat products. Gone are the days of having pasta for dinner. Living in the south means no more fried chicken and biscuits. My days of baking cookies on Sundays for the week are no longer. It has been a harder change than I expected. I never really realized how much I enjoyed a soda with lunch until I wasn't supposed to eat it anymore.

Also, has anyone noticed how small a serving of some things really is? A serving of grapes is 15 grapes. 15! I can fit that many in my mouth at one time! (I think, I haven't tired since I was about 10.) A serving of crackers is approximately 5 crackers depending on the brand. And please tell me who 1/2 cup of noodles satisfies.

I'm hoping that by finding some really awesome recipes, I am able to make this "diet" a lifestyle change to continue after I (hopefully) pop out a few kids. Keegan said he was willing to do it with me (although I suspect that this is only because I'm the one who cooks dinner most nights so he'd starve if he didn't go along.) It'll take some work, but hopefully this diet plus the medications I'm on will make our chance of conceiving higher. Also, I'll look sexy right before blowing up with pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment