Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Clown Care

I've read a lot of strange things that women do to try and increase their fertility / chances of conceiving. Anything from strange Chinese herbal teas to acupuncture. However, the best thing I've heard of is "clown-care" that is used during IVF. "In a study of 219 women undergoing IVF, Israeli researchers found the odds of success were greater among women who were entertained by a professional "medical clown" right after they had the embryos implanted in the womb."

I found the link to the article in this blog post by Peesticks and Stones. At first I thought that this practice was so strange, but then I thought about what other women swear by as a way to "one-up" your fertility / chances of conceiving. I've read a lot of blogs where women swear that acupuncture was the thing that made them pregnant, and it seems to be a widely prescribed practice by many doctors. I've also heard of raspberry tea, lifting your hips after sex, and not having caffeine all help while trying to conceive.

As I stand right now, I won't be buying stock in tea or scheduling any acupuncture appointments. I want to see what my body can do naturally before I start throwing more things at it to try and increase our chances. Who knows how I'll feel after a few failed cycles, however. As far as I can tell, these more natural aids can do no harm, and I'd probably give them a try before we pull out the big medical guns.

Does anyone have any wives tales that they've heard helps with conceiving? What type of things did you do to increase your chances? Do you really believe these natural aids help?

No comments:

Post a Comment