Thursday, June 13, 2013

In Case You Haven't Heard...

Well friends, it seems like the blogging world is coming to an end (!) because Google Reader will shut down on July 1. Almost every day I see someone excitedly post that they have moved to Blog Reader X, Y, or Z now that Google Reader is ending.

So, my questions for you lovely ladies is, one, is this (image below,) Google Reader? This is what I've always used to read my blogs, but I've read many women say that they have 300 posts in their "to-read," or they've just marked all posts as "read" after coming home from vacation. Obviously my system doesn't have that option which makes me think I never used Google Reader in the first place.


My second question is, what are you ladies switching over to? I've heard a lot of talk about BlogLovin' and I looked at it briefly, but it looks a lot like Pintrest to me (at least the home page does,) and I don't know how I feel about that. I'm one of those people who hates change, so having to pick out a new blog reader is going to be a pain in the butt for me. Your advice and hand holding through this process would be very much appreciated.

*Edit:* I finally bit the bullet and joined BlogLovin'. Feedly was also suggested, but I use Opera as my internet browser, and I don't think that Feedly and Opera are compatible, but I only looked for a brief time. I've also added a "follow me by email" section on the right side of my blog in case that's more your style. I'll also try and be better about adding my new posts to Facebook in case you follow me on there. Thank you everyone for your help!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

12 comments:

  1. AH.
    I HATE THIS TOO!
    i know of google reader as the same image you posted... but i dont think its ever told me how many things i have unread either.
    i signed up for bloglovin a while ago to try and get used to it but im still using google reader. and i am so mad it is leaving!!
    i also question switching over to WP too. but i dont know how. and the thought stresses me out enough!
    boo change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the switch to blog lovin' a while ago. It took some getting used to. Somehow I was able to move all my blogs over seamlessly. I have heard of Feedly, too. This website might be helpful: http://andreadekker.com/4-alternatives-to-google-reader/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just quickly looked at Feedly, but it looks like you can only download it for Firefox. I'm strange and use Opera as my internet browser, so I'm not sure if they'd be compatible. Thanks for the idea though!

      Delete
  3. I am not sure but I think what you posted is blogger not reader. Not sure if they are the same! I hate change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I hate change too! I know when Google Reader first announced they were closing, everyone seemed to jump the wagon quickly, but I dragged my feet (obviously...)

      Delete
  4. I use Bloglovin'. I never used Google reader so it's been great for me! Hope you get used to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I could be wrong, but I think you're good. We'll find out on 7/1 I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so! I signed up with BlogLovin' just in case, but I hope whatever I'm using sticks around!

      Delete
  6. Oh no! I don't use anything - no wonder I have such a hard time keeping up with blogs. I haven't even heard of Google reader, let alone Feedly or blog lovin' - help! I need to get out more or maybe less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry! The only reason I knew of Reader dying was because almost every blogger I follow has posted about it. BlogLovin' seems to be the most popular choice (at least in the blogs I follow,) but Frozen OJ (comment below) seems to like Feedly, and I've heard a few others say they like it too.

      I would say sign up for both of them, tinker around with them for a while, and see which one works for you. I'm sure there are other readers out there, but BlogLovin' and Feedly seem to have the popularity right now. The other option is to follow blog's Facebook pages if they update there, or subscribe by email so that all of the updates go straight to your inbox.

      Delete
  7. This is the address to reader: https://www.google.com/reader/view/ It's kinda like the thing in blogger but with more functionality. The two are connected though since they're both owned by Google. I have no idea what will come of that once Reader shuts down since they are so connected, or Google Friend Connect for that matter. I just started using Feedly last week and so far I don't hate it. They have a phone app too but you can't read in article view on your phone for some reason which is dumb. It's the only one I haven't hated so far though so I'll probably stick with it and eventually get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh why did they have to go and mess with something that was perfectly good? Am I just blind, or can I not use Feely with Opera? I saw the "download for Firefox" button, but I couldn't figure out how to sign up using Opera.

      I signed up with BlogLovin' just so I don't lose all of my subscriptions when Reader dies, but I don't love it, so I'm still on the hunt.

      Delete