Sunday, June 23, 2013

June Blogging Challenge Day 23 - Charity

So, I've realized that I'm absolutely horrible about posting on the weekends. We've actually gone out and done things with people this weekend (gasp!) so posting has honestly been the last thing on my mind. Anyways, today's prompt asks, "If you had $100,000 that had to be donated to charity what would you do with it?"

I feel like this is such a hard question. There are many charities that I feel are worthwhile, so to pick one is difficult. I would say though, no matter which charity I would choose, I probably wouldn't just give them the money. Many times, donated money doesn't always go towards what the donor wished it would go towards. Working at a non-profit, many times the donations we get go towards keeping the lights on, not towards specific programs, which I'm sure the donors wished it did. The only time that we put money towards a specific program is when the donor requests it. If I had $100,000 to give to a charity/charities, I would probably sit down with the director of the program and ask them where they really needed the money. If it was just to keep the lights on and the doors open, then I would be fine with the money going towards that. However, if the director was trying to start up a new program, or needed materials for an exiting program, I would much rather go buy the materials and donate those to the charity. I know that with my non-profit, while we need money to keep the lights on, it was nice to have a few donors tell us that they wanted their donations to go towards the materials we needed for our summer art camps.

As for actual charities, there are a few that I would give money to. First of all, is the Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome Foundation of America, Inc. My dad has been diagnosed with APS as well as Lupus and other diseases. There is no cure for APS, so he currently gives himself injections every day that would rival those of an IVF patient. Perhaps $100,000 would help find a cure, or at the very least a less painful way to live.

I would also give money towards an organization in my community that brings the arts to children. I think that the arts, whether it be dance, drawing, music, theater, what have you, are so important to children's growth and development, and many times, art programs are the first to be cut in schools.

The Humane Society would also get a chunk. I just can't say no to those adorable faces! Both of the dogs that live with my parents have been humane society rescues, and I'm so thankful that I've had them in my life.

9 comments:

  1. these are great! and your dad rocks for toughing out those injections! i didnt know he had that, i am sorry love. i say prayers for comfort! go dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I'll tell him he's got an online support system now ;-)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Sarah on your dad rocking because he handles those injections.

    You chose well. I also agree with your arts program thing - usually the first ones to get a cut, and yet one of the most important ones.

    #17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really irritates me how many art related programs get cut. I understand that sports are important as well, but does the football team really need new uniforms for the 10th year in a row?!

      Delete
  3. Humm I never thought about asking them, that is a great idea! There is a couple of charity organisations that I am sweet for. I might have to check in to that now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many times it's nice for the organization to have people ask them so they don't use the money for keeping the lights on, they have to use it for something that they needed just as much, but may have come secondary.

      Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  4. Wow! That is a really interesting point about where the money goes. I have never really thought that when I give money to charity I might be funding the office lighting. I think you have selected excellent charities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really thought of it either until I started working in a non-profit. It's amazing what percentage of our donations go towards just keeping the doors open instead of our specific programs.

      Delete
  5. What a tough question and what a great answer. So sorry to hear about your dad's health problems.

    ReplyDelete