Thursday, June 27, 2013

June Blogging Challenge Day 27 - When I Grow Up...

When I was in elementary school, I wanted to be a vet. However, I grew out of that when I realized that I would never let an animal be put to sleep (unless necessary,) which meant I would ultimately become a crazy cat and dog lady.

Once I hit junior high, I had this odd fascination with crime dramas, specifically Law and Order SVU. Don't ask why, I just did. Anyways, in 9th grade, for one of my classes, I had to job shadow someone in a field that I thought I'd like to make my career. The odd child I was, I wanted to job shadow a coroner. My dad somehow knew a coroner and basically played match maker for me. I don't really remember much, but I do remember watching him preform an autopsy and seeing a man's face peeled off his skull. And then we went to lunch.

Once I realized that I would have to go to school as long as a doctor would, but wouldn't get paid as much, I said screw that. High school came around, and I used up all of my elective classes in art. I took almost every art class my school had to offer and I couldn't see myself doing anything else for the rest of my life.

After graduation, I threw caution to the wind and I got my bachelors of fine arts with a minor in art history as well as a minor in textile and apparel management. Once we moved to Mississippi, I was pointed in the direction of an art gallery and I never left. I'm lucky enough to have a husband whose income allows me to keep a job that barely pays enough to keep gas in my car. If it wasn't for him, I'd certainly be living in a cardboard box.



1 comment:

  1. "And then we went to lunch."

    HAHAHA!

    That's hilarious and at the same time, that's A LOT for a 9th grader to handle. Whoa.

    ReplyDelete